It was supposed to be the crown jewel of North Carolina’s green energy revolution. Back in 2022, Vietnamese electric vehicle newcomer VinFast announced a massive, $3 billion manufacturing hub in Chatham County. It promised to bring 7,500 jobs to the region, transform Moncure into an automotive powerhouse, and secure North Carolina’s title as America’s top state for business.
Politicians cheered, dirt was thrown at a high-profile groundbreaking in 2023, and the state backed the project with a massive $1.2 billion incentive package—the largest corporate welfare deal in North Carolina history.
But today, that site is still just an empty expanse of graded dirt. And the state’s patience has officially run out.
North Carolina Attorney General Jeff Jackson filed a major lawsuit against VinFast on behalf of the state’s Department of Commerce. The goal? Sever ties with the struggling automaker, recoup taxpayer funds, and claw back the massive plot of land before things get any worse.
“It Didn’t Do Either”: The Broken Deal
The premise of the state’s lawsuit is simple: VinFast didn’t build what it said it would build, and it didn’t hire who it said it would hire.
“VinFast agreed to build a factory and create jobs for North Carolinians – it didn’t do either,” Attorney General Jeff Jackson said bluntly. “When North Carolina makes a deal, we build in protection for taxpayers. VinFast broke the deal, so we’re using that protection to find a project for this site that will create jobs.”
According to the state’s performance-based contract, VinFast was required to meet strict milestones to keep its incentives and its land. Specifically, the automaker was legally obligated to:
- Begin “vertical construction” of its factory buildings by January 1, 2024.
- Have a fully operational manufacturing facility online by July 1, 2026.
- Employ at least 1,750 workers at the site by December 31, 2026.
VinFast hit the ground running in 2023 by clearing and grading the site—a process that North Carolina fully reimbursed using taxpayer money. But after the trees were cleared and the dirt was leveled, the machinery fell silent. The lawsuit alleges that VinFast effectively abandoned all physical operations at the site in December 2024.
The 2028 Delay Was the Final Straw
With the July 2026 operational deadline rapidly approaching and nothing but open field to show for it, North Carolina’s Department of Justice sent a formal notice of default to VinFast.
In response, VinFast argued that it still intended to build the plant, but pushed its timeline back significantly, claiming it wouldn’t be operational until at least 2028. The company also drastically scaled back its ambitions, shrinking the physical footprint of the factory and reducing its target workforce down to a meager 1,400 employees.
For state officials, a self-declared two-year delay and a downsized workforce constituted an irreversible breach of contract. Because the factory cannot possibly be functional by July 2026, it is physically impossible for VinFast to honor the legal framework they signed. Instead of waiting around for a factory that might never arrive, North Carolina is choosing to invoke its contractual “clawback” rights to seize the land back entirely.
The Realities of a Brutal EV Market
To understand how VinFast arrived at this point, one only needs to look at its balance sheet and its performance in the North American market.
Building an automotive brand from scratch is notoriously capital-intensive, and VinFast has faced an incredibly steep uphill battle. The automaker’s initial global rollout was met with highly critical reviews from automotive journalists, and U.S. consumer adoption has been sluggish. The company sold fewer than 1,000 vehicles in North America last year and posted a staggering $2.4 billion net loss globally, triggering deep concerns about its financial stability.
With its home manufacturing plant in Vietnam operating well under its 300,000-vehicle capacity, pouring billions into building a brand-new, massive assembly plant in North America likely became an impossible financial burden for the company.
What’s Next for the Chatham County Site?
While the legal battle plays out, North Carolina Governor Josh Stein and economic leaders are focused on damage control and looking toward the future.
The silver lining for the state is that the contract did include robust taxpayer protections. Because the $450 million allocated by the General Assembly was strictly tied to site preparation, infrastructure, and performance benchmarks, North Carolina isn’t left holding an unpayable bill. Instead, it is left with a massive, pristine, “shovel-ready” industrial mega-site equipped with newly updated water, sewer, and transportation access.
